header-photo

A touching letter from a child...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My Daddy, My Buddy - a letter from a young boy to his father
- published on 'Bring Up Junior' magazine, Mar - May Issue
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dearest Daddy

How I miss talking to you! Where were you during the
teachers-parents meeting last Friday? I tried so hard to be a
good boy just so that Mrs Kwan could tell you how well
behaved I was. Oh well, she's my form teacher. I almost
forgot that you never asked who my teachers were. Or what
my favorite subject was.

Daddy, where was my old Daddy who used to sing and read
to me, hug and kiss me when I fell down, sleep with me
when I fell ill and taught me how to ride my first bike? Yes
Daddy, you bought me all the toys that my friends dreamt of
having. But I am lonely. I don't even have anyone to talk to
at home. Aunty India is at home, but she is not my closest.
Daddy, you are so near yet so far away. I long for every
public holiday for that's the only time you are at home. Last
Deepavali, I woke up early just to have breakfast with you.
But you went golfing. I waited up to have dinner with you,
but as usual, you came home late again.

You told me you worked hard to bring me to Disneyland. If
only you can spare the time to ask me what I really want. I
don't need a nice car or a big house. All I want is you. You
to bring me to the library, eat my favorite food, go to the
playground, play scrabble and have dinner with me every
day.

Oh yes! Daddy, can you buy me a mobile phone? Because
when I talk to you, you rush off whenever you pick up the
phone. If I have a mobile phone, you will talk to me when I
call you, right?

Mrs Kwan gave us a composition title 'My Best Friend.' I gave
it a thought. It could only be you. Though I don't see you in
the morning when I wake up or when I sleep at night, I still
love you. Daddy or maybe if you buy me a laptop, I can e-
mail your secretary to set an appointment to do dinner
together?

0 comments: